A growing number of people are getting painful skin allergies, and it’s all thanks to a chemical found in everyday personal products.
USA (Next Media) – A growing number of people are getting painful skin allergies, and it’s all thanks to a chemical found in everyday personal products.
Medical Daily reports that methylisothiazolinone, or MI, is a preservative used to prevent unwanted bacteria growth in a wide range of bath and beauty products.
Though labelled safe and non-toxic, higher concentrations of the substance have been known to irritate the skin and cause a type of eczema known as contact dermatitis.
Symptoms include an itchy red rash that can form blisters, or become dry, cracked, and scaly.
Topical medication can alleviate symptoms, but curing the inflammation usually involves avoiding the irritant completely.
Although Europe has since restricted the use of MI, the substance is still allowed in the U.S., where it’s listed as an ingredient even in products advertised as ‘hypoallergenic’.