Prince Harry response ‘unprecedented’, says royal reporter

Royal editor of British newspaper the Sunday Express says response by Prince Harry to reports about U.S. actress girlfriend Meghan Markle is ‘unprecedented’.

WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, USA (FILE – FEBRUARY 15, 2012) (REUTERS) – Britain’s Prince Harry’s criticism of ‘media harrassment’ towards his girlfriend Meghan Markle is ‘unprecedented’ said the royal editor of British newspaper the Daily Express.

Harry issued a rare statement on Tuesday (November 8) to criticise the media for intruding into the private life of his new American girlfriend, actress Meghan Markle, saying the press had subjected her to “a wave of abuse and harassment”.

British newspapers have been running daily stories about Markle since news emerged that the 35-year-old actress was dating the prince, 32, the grandson of Queen Elizabeth.

Camilla Tominey is royal editor at the Daily Express, which first reported on Harry’s romantic relationship with Markle, and said, “Well, I think it’s very unprecedented for Prince Harry to speak in such strong terms about his own privacy and that of his now girlfriend. It’s been confirmed that he’s actually with Meghan Markle and I think this is an unprecedented reaction to what has been an unprecedented media response to this story. When the Sunday Express broke it ten days ago now it was just a straight tale of two people falling in love. Since then it has been turned over by different news outlets and the internet. I think it’s a different news environment now because a lot of people comment online and her media profile, you know, she’s taken quite a hit on Twitter and Instagram with anyone and everyone commenting on her and who she is and everything else. So, I think the floodgates have been opened and Prince Harry’s trying to close them.”

In the unusually forthright statement issued by Harry’s office which confirmed the relationship for the first time, the prince’s Communications Secretary said they had fought nightly legal battles to keep defamatory stories from appearing in papers.

“He has rarely taken formal action on the very regular publication of fictional stories that are written about him and he has worked hard to develop a professional relationship with the media,” the statement said.

“But the past week has seen a line crossed. His girlfriend, Meghan Markle, has been subject to a wave of abuse and harassment.

“Some of this has been very public – the smear on the front page of a national newspaper; the racial undertones of comment pieces; and the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments.”

Harry has spoken out before about his dislike of the press and the statement said that while he appreciated he lived a privileged life, he felt he had to speak out.

“It is not right that a few months into a relationship with him that Ms. Markle should be subjected to such a storm,” the statement said.

“He knows commentators will say this is ‘the price she has to pay’ and that ‘this is all part of the game’. He strongly disagrees. This is not a game – it is her life and his.”