The world’s largest and rowdiest annual beer festival comes to an end, with Munich organisers saying visitors drank 7.3 million litres of beer during the 16-day long party.
MUNICH, GERMANY (OCTOBER 4, 2015) (REUTERS) – The 182nd Munich Oktoberfest came to an end on Sunday (October 4), with organisers saying that the world’s largest beer festival was once again a full success despite the slightly lower number of visitors which dropped to 5.9 from 6.3 million the previous year.
In its provisional final report for the 2015 Oktoberfest, which locals call “Wiesn” (pron.: VEE-zun), or “meadow”, the city of Munich said people drank 7.3 million litres of beer, ate a total of 114 oxen and 50 calves.
Toni Roiderer, landlord of the “Hacker” beer tent and spokesman for the Oktoberfest landlords, said “we were very happy with this year’s Wiesn. It was a Wiesn with less people but with around six million visitors, so we really can’t complain.”
“We had a lot of very happy customers, we served great beer and the cooks did their best. Those who visited the Wiesn are definitely coming back because it was a great party,” said Roiderer as hundreds people sipped their beer nearby, served in one litre “Mass” glass mugs.
According to the city of Munich, the last Oktoberfest weekend welcomed many visitors from Italy, while camp grounds around the city reported guests came from Australia, Belgium, Brazil, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Switzerland and the United States.
Officials also keep records of more peculiar incidents and said that “attentive security personnel” confiscated 110,000 illegally taken beer mugs from people, down from 112,000 last year.
The 183rd Oktoberfest will open from September 17 to October 3, 2016.