Ex-FIFA executive Webb agrees to U.S. extradition – source

Ex-FIFA Vice-President and former President of the regional body CONCACAF, Jeffrey Webb of the Cayman Islands, agrees to extradition to the United States.

ZURICH, SWITZERLAND (REUTERS) – Jeffrey Webb, one of seven current and former officials of soccer’s world governing body FIFA detained in Switzerland in a corruption probe, has agreed to be extradited to the United States, a source familiar with the matter said on Friday (July 10).

The Swiss Federal Office of Justice had said earlier on Friday that one of the seven had agreed not to fight extradition but did not identify the official. Webb was later confirmed as having agreed to the move.

After his arrest, FIFA and the regional soccer federation CONCACAF provisionally banned Webb from his posts.

Webb was arrested in Zurich on May 27, two days before FIFA’s annual congress, along with six other officials, stunning the world of soccer. The charges by U.S. prosecutors include allegations that millions of dollars were paid in bribes in FIFA’s selection process to host men’s World Cups and other major tournaments.

The 50-year-old Webb was elected as head of CONCACAF, the confederation governing the sport in North and Central America and the Caribbean, in 2012. Before the FIFA scandal he was viewed as a potential successor to FIFA President Sepp Blatter.