Brazil’s Lucas di Grassi is disqualified from winning the Berlin ePrix after illegal modifications were found to have been made to his car, giving victory to Jerome D’Ambrosio of Belgium.
BERLIN, GERMANY (MAY 23, 2015) (FORMULA E HOLDINGS) – Race winner Lucas di Grassi of Brazil has been excluded from the Berlin Formula ePrix on Saturday (May 23) after his Audi Sport ABT car was found to have been running with a modified front wing.
The race-winning car failed post-race scrutineering where it was discovered that the front wing fairings had been modified to include internal metal reinforcing rods. In addition the stewards found that six of the eight holes in the front wing had been sealed. The remaining two holes were found to have had helicoil inserts and chamfers made and that the front flap and gurney LH 220 has a filler layer added and chamfer made.
The team argued that these changes were made as a result of repairs and that they offered no competitive advantage, however, they were deemed to be in breach of Article 3.1 of 2014/2015 FIA Formula E Technical Regulations and the exclusion was made.
Audi Sport ABT has decided not to appeal the decision.
The decision means that Jerome D’Ambrosio of Belgium is now the winner of the race and Brazilian Nelson Piquet Jr is now in the lead of the championship, 10 points ahead of di Grassi.
FIA Formula E Championship – DHL Berlin ePrix (Rd 8) – Race results:
1. Jerome D’Ambrosio, Dragon Racing, 48:26.566
2. Sébastien Buemi, e.dams-Renault, +2.433s
3. Loïc Duval, Dragon Racing, +3.508s
4. Nelson Piquet Jr, NEXTEV TCR, +3.975s
5. Nick Heidfeld, Venturi, +13.046s
6. Stéphane Sarrazin, Venturi, +13.335s
7. Jean-Eric Vergne, Andretti, +13.678s
8. Sam Bird, Virgin Racing, +14.055s
9. Vitantonio Liuzzi, Trulli, +15.636s
10. Nicolas Prost, e.dams-Renault, +16.602s
11. Antonio Felix da Costa, Amlin Aguri, +16.797s
12. Jaime Alguersuari, Virgin Racing, +20.594s
13. Scott Speed, Andretti, +21.149s
14. Daniel Abt, Audi Sport ABT, +23.668s
15. Charles Pic, NEXTEV TCR, +25.491s
16. Salvador Duran, Amlin Aguri, +44.137s
17. Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, +46.257s
18. Karun Chandhok, Mahindra Racing, +52.703s
19. Jarno Trulli, Trulli, +2 laps
EXC Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport ABT
Nelson Piquet Jr – 103
Sébastien Buemi – 101
Lucas di Grassi – 93
Nicolas Prost – 78
Jerome D’Ambrosio – 77
Sam Bird – 68
Antonio Felix da Costa – 45
Jean-Eric Vergne – 40
Jaime Alguersuari – 30
Bruno Senna – 28
e.dams-Renault – 179
Dragon Racing – 116
Audi Sport ABT – 115
NEXTEV TCR – 107
Virgin Racing – 98
Andretti – 88
Amlin Aguri – 48
Mahindra Racing – 46
Venturi – 34