ABUJA, NIGERIA (AUGUST 19, 2017) (REUTERS) – Nigeria President Muhammadu Buhari returned to the country Saturday (August 19) after three months of medical leave in Britain where he received treatment for an unspecified ailment. Continue reading
BORNO, NIGERIA (REUTERS) – Boko Haram militants released 82 schoolgirls out of a group of more than 200 who they kidnapped from the northern town of Chibok in April 2014, officials said on Saturday (May 6), the largest group yet to be freed after years of tense negotiations.
The girls were released through negotiations with the government, one official said, asking not to be named.
The girls were among about 220 students abducted from a secondary school in the northeastern town of Chibok in 2014, sparking a global campaign dubbed #bringbackourgirls supported by then U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama and a list of celebrities.
About 21 Chibok schoolgirls were released in October last year in a deal brokered by Switzerland and the International Red Cross, while a handful of others have escaped or been rescued. But about 195 were still missing.
The girls were taken from a school in Chibok in the remote northeastern Borno state where Boko Haram has waged an insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic state that has killed thousands and displaced more than 2 million people.
Nigerian soldiers have found a girl who was one of more than 200 pupils kidnapped by Islamist militant group Boko Haram from their school in the town of Chibok in April 2014.
Human Rights Watch has released a report accusing Nigeria’s police and troops of raping women and girls displaced by conflict in the northeast. An Islamist campaign by Boko Haram has driven more than two million people from their homes and killed some 15,000 in the region. Abuses are also said to have been carried out by camp leaders and local militias meant to help the military fight the insurgents.
The author of a book on the Chibok Girls speaks of the parents’ distress two years after losing their children to Boko Haram, unsure if they are alive or how they are and after a viewing new video of the girls, said to be filmed last December.
#BringBackOurGirls activists blame the government and international community for failing to rescue children abducted by Boko Haram two years ago and call for more action.