Tag Archives: Killing of captives by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant

22Feb/17

British suicide bomber in Iraq had won compensation for Guantanamo stay

British militant Abu-Zakariya al-Britani who blew himself up in Iraq had won compensation for his stay at Guantanamo Bay, security sources say.

(SOCIAL MEDIA WEBSITE) – An Islamic State suicide bomber from Britain who blew himself up in an attack on Iraqi forces this week had been given compensation for his detention in the Guantanamo Bay military prison, Western security sources said on Wednesday (February 22).

Islamic State militants said Abu-Zakariya al-Britani, a British citizen who was originally known as Ronald Fiddler and then cast himself as Jamal Udeen al-Harith, detonated a car bomb at an Iraqi army base southwest of Mosul this week.

The militants also released a photograph of the smiling bomber surrounded by wires in the seat of what appeared to be the car in which he blew himself up.

The photograph was published on Dawaall al-Haq, a website that describes itself as a non-affiliated news agency. Dawaall al-Haq publishes content relating to the Islamic State and other militant groups.

The Islamic State statements could not be independently verified by Reuters but three Western security sources said it was highly likely that Britani was the bomber and now dead.

Britain made a civil damages settlement with British former Guantanamo Bay inmates in 2010 but did not disclose the size of the payouts, citing confidentiality agreements, then-Justice Secretary Kenneth Clarke told parliament at the time.

The Daily Mail reported that al-Britani had been awarded $1.25 million by the British government after claiming British agents knew or were complicit in his alleged mistreatment.

Originally from the northern English city of Manchester, he converted to Islam in his 20s. He was detained in Afghanistan by U.S. special forces and taken to Guantanamo in 2002.

He was released in 2004 after the government of then-Prime Minister Tony Blair lobbied for his release. He later travelled to Syria to fight with Islamic State.

Britain’s foreign ministry declined to comment on the death of al-Britani but said it had advised for some time against all travel to Syria and large parts of Iraq.

27Feb/15

Washington Post reporter describes process to name “Jihadi John”

In an interview with Reuters at the offices of the Washington Post, reporter Adam Goldman describes the reporting process that helped reveal the identity of “Jihadi John.”

Continue reading

27Feb/15

British newspapers lead with “Jihadi John” unmasking

LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FEBRUARY 27, 2015) (REUTERS) – The front pages of British newspapers led on Friday (February 27) with stories related to the unmasking of the man who fronted Islamic State (IS) beheading videos, known as “Jihadi John”.
Continue reading

26Feb/15

‘Jihadi John’ killer from Islamic State beheading videos named by media

The Washington Post names the masked man featured in several Islamic State beheading videos as Mohammed Emwazi, a computer programming graduate from a well-do-do London family.
Continue reading