LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (NOVEMBER 12, 2017) (MTV NETWORKS EUROPE) – Canadian pop singer Shawn Mendes led the pack at the MTV Europe Music awards on Sunday night, taking home “Best Song,” “Best Artist,” and “Biggest Fans” awards, in a show that featured performances from French Montana, The Killers and Kesha. Continue reading
MANCHESTER, NEW HAMPSHIRE, UNITED STATES (NOVEMBER 09, 2017) (NBC) – Former Trump administration strategist Steve Bannon on Thursday (November 9) compared an exclusive report in the Washington Post which described alleged sexual misconduct by U.S. Senate nominee Roy Moore to the newspaper’s publication last year of the leaked Access Hollywood video tape of then-presidential candidate Donald Trump. Continue reading
A second man has been arrested over Friday’s bomb attack on a London underground train. Police detained him in west London, and also raided a house about four miles away. Continue reading
British police have arrested an 18-year-old man in what they’re calling a “significant” detention as they hunt for the perpetrators of Friday’s London underground bombing. Lucy Fielder reports. Continue reading
LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JULY 8, 2017) (REUTERS – Irish rock group U2 kicked off the European leg of “The Joshua Tree” tour on Saturday (July 8) by returning to the album that tackled their love-hate relationship with America and propelled them to superstardom when it was released 30 years ago. Continue reading
LONDON, BRITAIN (MAY 26, 2017) (UK POOL) – British police have arrested a “large part of the network” behind this week’s Manchester suicide bombing but more arrests are likely, the country’s top counter-terrorism officer said on Friday (May 26).
SADDLEOWRTH MOOR, NEAR MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (REUTERS) -One of Britain’s most notorious killers, “Moors murderer” Ian Brady, who murdered five children with his lover and accomplice Myra Hindley during a sadistic two-year reign of terror in the 1960s died on Monday (May 15). Continue reading
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte says he was to blame for his team’s 2-0 loss to Manchester United, saying he had failed to motivate his players enough.
Onstage Oscars gaffe by PWC prompts an apology, but analysts say it’s unlikely to impact the firm’s account with the Academy long term.
British militant Abu-Zakariya al-Britani who blew himself up in Iraq had won compensation for his stay at Guantanamo Bay, security sources say.
(SOCIAL MEDIA WEBSITE) – An Islamic State suicide bomber from Britain who blew himself up in an attack on Iraqi forces this week had been given compensation for his detention in the Guantanamo Bay military prison, Western security sources said on Wednesday (February 22).
Islamic State militants said Abu-Zakariya al-Britani, a British citizen who was originally known as Ronald Fiddler and then cast himself as Jamal Udeen al-Harith, detonated a car bomb at an Iraqi army base southwest of Mosul this week.
The militants also released a photograph of the smiling bomber surrounded by wires in the seat of what appeared to be the car in which he blew himself up.
The photograph was published on Dawaall al-Haq, a website that describes itself as a non-affiliated news agency. Dawaall al-Haq publishes content relating to the Islamic State and other militant groups.
The Islamic State statements could not be independently verified by Reuters but three Western security sources said it was highly likely that Britani was the bomber and now dead.
Britain made a civil damages settlement with British former Guantanamo Bay inmates in 2010 but did not disclose the size of the payouts, citing confidentiality agreements, then-Justice Secretary Kenneth Clarke told parliament at the time.
The Daily Mail reported that al-Britani had been awarded $1.25 million by the British government after claiming British agents knew or were complicit in his alleged mistreatment.
Originally from the northern English city of Manchester, he converted to Islam in his 20s. He was detained in Afghanistan by U.S. special forces and taken to Guantanamo in 2002.
He was released in 2004 after the government of then-Prime Minister Tony Blair lobbied for his release. He later travelled to Syria to fight with Islamic State.
Britain’s foreign ministry declined to comment on the death of al-Britani but said it had advised for some time against all travel to Syria and large parts of Iraq.