Texas student arrested for homemade clock says he will change schools

A Texas teenager who was taken away in handcuffs this week for bringing to his Dallas-area school a homemade clock that staff mistook for a bomb says he plans to transfer to a new school.

IRVING, TEXAS, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 16, 2015) (NBC) – A Texas teenager who was taken away from his Dallas-area school in handcuffs after his homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb told reporters on Wednesday (September 16) he will be changing schools.

Ahmed Mohamed, a 14-year old student at MacArthur High School, was arrested on Monday (September 14) on charges of making a hoax bomb after he brought a homemade clock to his Dallas-area school this week and the staff mistook it for a bomb.

“I guess everyone knows that I am the person that built a clock and got into a lot of trouble for it. I built a clock to impress my teacher but when I showed it to her, she thought it was a threat to her. So it was really sad that she took a wrong impression of it and I got arrested for it later that day. But since the charges have already been dropped, I am allowed to say that I really want to go to M.I.T (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and TAMS (Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science) and I am thinking of transferring schools from MacArthur to any different school,” the teenager said at a news conference outside his home in Irving, Texas.

The incident has launched a social media campaign called #IStandWithAhmed, which was the No. 1 trending topic in the United States on Twitter on Wednesday with about 300,000 tweets, many critical of the school district and police.

U.S. President Barack Obama even tweeted about the incident saying, “Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House?”

Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg also invited the teenager to drop by his California-based company. Mohamed thanked his well-wishers for their support.

“I have Mark Zuckerberg, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and I am pleased that they are part of the action and the movement to get rid of everything that has been happening, not just to me but to other people around the entire globe,” Mohamed said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations said he is Muslim and the case serves as an example of religious bigotry.

Mohamed was handcuffed and taken to a detention center where he was fingerprinted and had mug shots taken. He was freed when his parents came for him.

However he remains suspended till Thursday, the teenager told reporters.

Police said the device was in a case and could be mistaken for a bomb. Police spokesman James McLellan said Mohamed’s religion had nothing to do with their response.