Chinese relatives of MH370 passengers still looking for answers after meeting Malaysian embassy staff

Chinese relatives of MH370 passengers who met Malaysian embassy staff in Beijing still seek answers.

BEIJING, CHINA (AUGUST 7, 2015) (REUTERS) – Chinese relatives of MH370 passengers conveyed to Malaysian Embassy staff in a meeting on Friday (August 7) that they wanted government officials to meet them and answer their questions.

Earlier in the day, relatives of the victims staged a protest near the embassy after Malaysian officials failed to show up at a meeting scheduled for the family members.

After several hours of protests, the embassy agreed to meet representatives of the family members.

“We asked them two questions. One, why did no one (from the Malaysian government) attend the meeting. Two, when will you send someone from the Malaysian government to attend the meeting. We repeated these questions numerous times and gave them all kinds of reasons – the feelings of the relatives, international conventions, etc., but the people from the Malaysian government just said ‘ok’, ‘ok’, they said ok twice then left,” said Jiang Hui, one of the five relatives chosen to represent the families.

Jiang said it was crucial that Malaysian officials meet the relatives so they could answer their questions after Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak confirmed that part of a wing found on Reunion Island was from the ill-fated flight.

“Because the Malaysian government didn’t attend the meeting, Malaysia Airlines couldn’t take questions on the debris, the investigation or the search. Malaysia Airlines doesn’t have the authority, and they don’t have that obligation. If an airline company can represent a government then can I just get anyone off the street to represent the government? It’s impossible,” he added.

Jiang said he was told to put his requests down in writing, adding that he was pessimistic that he would get a response from the Malaysian authorities.

Najib said in a televised address on early Thursday (August 6) that a piece of a wing that washed up on the Indian Ocean island beach last week was part of the wreckage of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, confirming the discovery of the first trace of the plane since it vanished last March.

The announcement provides the first direct evidence that the plane crashed in the ocean but still gives families of the 239 victims little clue as to why.

Despite the Malaysian confirmation, prosecutors in France stopped short of declaring they were certain, saying only that there was a “very strong presumption” stoking the frustration and agony of family members who are without closure.