Night of rioting in Baltimore results in burnt buildings, cars and ransacked shops – amateur videos

A day and night of violence in Baltimore leaves cars’ wreckage and litter on streets and shops damaged, amateur videos show. The violence followed the funeral of a 25-year-old black man who died of injuries sustained while in police custody.

BALTIMORE, UNITED STATES (APRIL 28, 2015)(FAHKINGJEFF) – Residents and officials in Baltimore will begin on Tuesday (April 28) assessing damage across the city after a day of violence that followed the funeral of a 25-year-old black man who died of injuries sustained while in police custody.

Hundreds of rioters looted stores, burned buildings and fought with police on Monday (April 27) following the funeral of Freddie Gray who died after suffering a spinal injury in police custody.

Amateur videos posted on Instagram by a man identifying himself as ‘Fahkingjeff’ showed wreckage of a burnt van, a cash machine torn apart, a pharmacy that has been ransacked and fire crews trying to extinguish fires.

Police said looting, fires and attacks against officers took place overnight.

Looters sacked liquor stores, pharmacies, a shopping mall and a check-cashing store. Rioters smashed car windows outside a major hotel and twice slashed a fire hose while firefighters fought a blaze at a CVS pharmacy that had been looted before it was set on fire.

The riots broke out blocks from where the funeral of Gray took place and spread through much of west Baltimore.

It was the most violent protest against police treatment of African Americans since arson and gunfire in Ferguson, Missouri, last year.

A state of emergency was declared by Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, a Republican, who sent in the National Guard, and a curfew was imposed in the majority black city from Tuesday night, with exceptions for work and medical emergencies.

Gray was arrested on April 12 when running from officers. He was transported to the police station in a van, with no seat restraint, and suffered the spinal injury that led to his death a week later. A lawyer for Gray’s family says his spine was 80 percent severed at the neck while in custody.

Six officers have been suspended, and the U.S. Justice Department is investigating the incident for possible civil rights violations.

Gray’s death reignited a public outcry over police treatment of African Americans that flared last year after police killings of unarmed black men in Ferguson, New York City and elsewhere.