Eight people killed and over 100 hospitalised after inhaling chlorine gas following an explosion at a water treatment plant in Jos, a city in central Nigeria.
JOS, NIGERIA (JULY 25, 2015) (TELEVISION CONTINENTAL) – Eight people were killed and around 100 needed hospital treatment after inhaling chlorine gas following an explosion at a water treatment plant in Jos, a city in central Nigeria, the state government said on Saturday (July 25).
A chlorine cylinder exploded at the Lamingo Water Board treatment plant around 4 a.m. (0300 GMT). The contamination had been contained and would not affect the water supply to the public mains, Plateau state spokesman Samuel Nanle said.
An unidentified official said eight people had died and over 100 people were receiving treatment at the Plateau hospital.
“It was a chlorine gas leakage from the cylinder, you know, that led to what has happened, causing, you know, injuries to people and indeed we have had a casualty level with a 116 people presently receiving treatment at the Plateau hospital, specialist hospital. In other words some have been treated and discharged. And then the number of deaths recorded is eight,” he said.
Father to one of the victims, Tobiah Adebayo lamented the loss of his daughter.
“My daughter is dead. Brenda Tobiah Adebayo is dead. What are we going to do? I saw her corpse this morning, and many more. What are we going to do.” he said.
Plateau State Deputy Governor Sunny Tyoden said the accident was a result of a technical problem.
“What has happened is a product of what we call an industrial accident. It wasn’t anybody’s doing. It was a technical problem. I have just seen the cylinder from which it occurred. The nozzle broke off and that caused the leakage, so please accept it as one of the doings of God. It’s unfortunate. We sympathise with you,” Tyoden said.
Nigeria’s Premium Times said the government was taking immediate measures to tackle the problem of expired components at the water treatment plant, which is close to a main road leading to the Jos market.