WASHINGTON, D.C. AND UNKNOWN LOCATION, UNITED STATES (JULY 28, 2017) (FOX NEWS CHANNEL’S HANNITY) – Former White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus in an interview on Fox News Channel’s “Hannity” show on Friday (July 28) said he offered to resign and that he was not asked to resign hours after President Donald Trump replaced him after only six months on the job, installing retired General John Kelly in his place in a major shake-up of his top team.
Trump announced the move in a tweet a day after his new communications director, Anthony Scaramucci, accused Priebus of leaking information to reporters in a profanity-laced tirade.
Kelly, 67, a retired four-star Marine Corps general, is currently secretary of the Department of Homeland Security and will assume the chief of staff post on Monday (July 31). He was hired with the goal of bringing more discipline to the White House, a senior White House official said.
Trump issued his decision just as he landed aboard Air Force One after a visit to Long Island and hours after Republican efforts to repeal Obamacare failed in the Senate.
Priebus was on the plane with the Republican president and made no comment. Reporters had noticed no sign of stress from Priebus during the day. Priebus told FOX he had been talking to Trump for some time about exiting the White House, and is the latest in a long line of officials to leave or not take a job at the White House.