Puerto Rico moves to cancel Whitefish power contract after uproar

SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO (OCTOBER 29, 2017) (NBC) – Puerto Rico’s government power company said on Sunday (October 29) it would move to cancel a $300 million repair contract with a tiny Montana company to restore power to the storm-hit U.S. territory after an uproar over the deal.

The contract between Whitefish Energy Holdings and Puerto Rico’s bankrupt power utility has come under fire after it was revealed that the terms were obtained without a competitive public bidding process.

Earlier on Sunday, Puerto Rico’s Governor, Ricardo Rosselló had called for the contract with Whitefish to be canceled and Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority’s (PREPA) Director Ricardo Ramos said he had accepted the governor’s recommendation.

Ramos said that he had to consider the “reputation risk” as well as “delay risk” in taking such a step, but noted that the initial enthusiasm from residents over Whitefish employees coming to the island had changed in the last several days after media started to report the details of the contract.