A Nevada judge rejects a request by Donald Trump’s campaign to have evidence preserved from an early polling site in Las Vegas where the campaign says polls were allowed to stay open longer than allowed by law.
(CBS) – A Nevada judge rejected a request by Donald Trump’s presidential campaign on Tuesday (Nov. 8) for an immediate order to be issued in its lawsuit over concerns about voting at a polling place in Las Vegas that remained open late last week to accommodate people who were lined up to vote.
Judge Gloria Sturman at the Clark County Court said that the order would potentially make public the identities of poll workers, which could put them at risk of harassment.
Nevada state law says voters who are in line at 8 p.m., when the polls close, must be allowed to cast their ballots.
Trump’s lawsuit, filed in a Nevada state court on Monday, said election officials violated state law because they allowed people to join the line after 8 p.m. at a polling location at a Latino market.
Trump, who said last month that he might not accept the outcome of the national election if he thinks it is unfair, asked in the lawsuit that the ballots from the Latino market be kept separate from other votes, pending any legal challenges to the state’s results.
Most voters are casting their ballots across the United States on Tuesday in the general election but Nevada and several other states allow early voting.
Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton are in a close contest for Nevada’s six electoral votes in Tuesday’s election after a long and contentious campaign.