Trump advisor say White House presented ‘alternative facts’ about inauguration turnout

Trump advisor say White House presented ‘alternative facts’ about inauguration turnout
Counselor to U.S. President Donald Trump, Kellyanne Conway downplays White House claims about the turnout for the inauguration.

WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JANUARY 22, 2017) (NBC’S “MEET THE PRESS”) – Counselor to U.S. President Donald Trump Kellyanne Conway on Sunday (January 22) downplayed the White House’s comments from the previous day.

“I’m about things that are quantifiable and important. I don’t think ultimately presidents are judged by crowd size at their inauguration. I think they’re judged by their accomplishments,” Conway said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“There was a prediction of a downpour of rain. I think that deterred many people from coming,” Conway added.

The White House on Saturday (January 21) accused the media of framing photographs to understate the crowd that attended Donald Trump’s inauguration, a new jab in a long-running fight between the new president and the news organizations who cover him.

In an unusual and fiery statement on Saturday night, White House spokesman Sean Spicer lashed out about tweeted photographs that showed large, empty spaces on the National Mall during the ceremony on Friday (January 20).

Asked about Spicer’s statement, Conway said, “Our press secretary gave alternative facts to that.”

Washington’s city government estimated 1.8 million people attended President Barack Obama’s 2009 inauguration, making it the largest gathering ever on the Mall.

Aerial photographs showed that the crowds for Trump’s inauguration were smaller than in 2009.

Spicer’s rebuke followed a larger-than-expected turnout for women’s marches protesting Trump across the United States on Saturday, including at the flagship event in Washington, where a crowd of hundreds of thousands clogged the streets and appeared to be larger than those who came for Trump’s inauguration.

On Sunday, Senator Chuck Schumer was asked about delays in confirming several of the president’s cabinet appointees.

Trump officials suggested earlier in the week that Senate Democrats were stalling o, a point Schumer dismissed during an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“It’s very simple, there are more people with huge financial holdings which they have to divest under law so they don’t have conflicts of interest. This takes a tremendous amount of time,” Schumer said.

Republicans had hoped to confirm at least seven on Friday, but Democrats objected, complaining that Republicans were trying to force votes too quickly on nominees who were too slow to provide financial and ethics information.

So far, the senate has confirmed two of the president’s nominees: James Mattis for Secretary of Defense and John Kelly to head the department of Homeland Security

Congress passed Mattis’ waiver last week, and Trump signed it just after he was inaugurated on Friday.