June 7, 2023 /Technology/ — Ring devices have several cybersecurity vulnerabilities, such as a lack of encryption and absence of extra security protocols. Cybercriminals can use those issues to hack a Ring doorbell or camera. In fact, there were dozens of incidents when someone gained unauthorized access to Ring gadgets. Mozilla’s Privacy Not Included project found that Ring doorbells have a number of privacy and security concerns, including:
- Data collection: Ring collects a wide range of data about users, including their location, video recordings, and contact information. This data is stored on Amazon’s servers and can be accessed by Ring employees and law enforcement.
- Security vulnerabilities: Mozilla found a number of security vulnerabilities in the Ring app and doorbell hardware. These vulnerabilities could allow hackers to access user data or take control of the doorbell.
However, privacy advocates remain concerned about Ring’s data collection practices. They argue that Ring is collecting too much data about users and that the company is not doing enough to protect this data from unauthorized access.
In 2022, Amazon was fined $5.8 million by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for violating user privacy. The FTC found that Ring had failed to adequately protect user data and that it had misled users about how their data was being used.
Despite these concerns, Ring doorbells remain popular with consumers. The company has sold over 10 million doorbells since it was launched in 2015.
Here are some tips for protecting your privacy when using a Ring doorbell:
- Use strong passwords: When creating an account for Ring, use a strong password that is unique to this account.
- Enable two-factor authentication: Two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to your account.
- Be aware of the privacy settings: Ring offers a number of privacy settings that you can use to control how your data is shared.
- Be careful about what you share: Only share videos and photos that you are comfortable sharing with others.
By following these tips, you can help to protect your privacy when using a Ring doorbell.
Mozilla’s Privacy Not Included project is a valuable resource for consumers who are concerned about their privacy. The project helps consumers to understand the privacy and security risks of connected devices and to make informed choices about the products they use. The project is a great way to learn more about the privacy and security of connected devices. If you are considering buying a connected device, be sure to check the project’s ratings before you make your purchase.