The key takeaways of the “Surveillance in the age of WhatsApp” webinar by the London Stock Exchange Group of companies (LSEG) are as follows:
- The use of WhatsApp and other ephemeral messaging apps by financial professionals is on the rise. This is due to a number of factors, including the convenience, security, and privacy features of these apps.
- However, the use of ephemeral messaging apps also poses a number of challenges for financial institutions. These include the difficulty of monitoring and recording communications, the potential for data breaches, and the risk of insider trading.
- Financial institutions need to have a robust surveillance strategy in place to address the challenges posed by ephemeral messaging apps. This strategy should include a combination of technological solutions and policies and procedures.
Here are some specific tips from the webinar for financial institutions:
- Implement a surveillance solution that can capture and record communications from ephemeral messaging apps. This solution should be able to handle a variety of different messaging apps and file formats.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the use of ephemeral messaging apps. These policies should cover topics such as what types of communications are allowed on messaging apps, how long communications must be retained, and who has access to archived communications.
- Educate employees on the risks associated with using ephemeral messaging apps for business purposes. Employees should be aware of the importance of complying with the company’s policies and procedures.
The webinar also discussed some of the latest trends in surveillance technology, such as the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) to detect suspicious activity. AI and ML can be used to analyze large volumes of data from a variety of sources, including ephemeral messaging apps, to identify patterns and anomalies that may indicate market abuse or other misconduct.
Overall, the webinar provided valuable insights into the challenges and opportunities of surveillance in the age of WhatsApp. Financial institutions need to be proactive in developing and implementing surveillance strategies that can address the risks posed by ephemeral messaging apps.