Sept. 20, 2023 /Media/– In this comprehensive report, more than 120 editors, journalists, technologists and mediamakers from 105 organisations across 46 different countries shared their insights and experience on what news organisations are doing with AI.
The key takeaways of the “Global survey of what news organisations are doing with artificial intelligence” report produced by JournalismAI are as follows:
- AI is already being used by news organizations around the world, but its adoption is uneven. The survey found that 73% of respondents are using AI in some form, but the level of adoption varies depending on the size and resources of the organization.
- The most common uses of AI in newsrooms are for data analysis, personalization, and content generation. AI tools can be used to help journalists identify trends, analyze large datasets, and create personalized experiences for readers.
- News organizations are concerned about the ethical implications of AI, but they see it as an important tool for the future. The survey found that 60% of respondents are concerned about the potential for AI to be used to spread misinformation or erode public trust. However, 80% of respondents believe that AI will play a larger role in newsrooms in the future.
Here are some additional key takeaways from the report:
- Generative AI is seen as a promising new technology for journalism, but it also raises concerns. Generative AI tools can be used to generate text, translate languages, and create images. This has the potential to revolutionize the way journalism is done, but it also raises concerns about the potential for misuse.
- News organizations need to invest in training and education to help journalists use AI effectively. AI is a complex technology, and journalists need to understand how it works in order to use it effectively. News organizations need to invest in training and education programs to help journalists develop the skills they need to use AI ethically and responsibly.
- News organizations need to develop clear ethical guidelines for the use of AI. The report recommends that news organizations develop clear ethical guidelines for the use of AI. These guidelines should cover issues such as transparency, accountability, and fairness.
Overall, the report provides a valuable overview of how news organizations are using AI and the challenges and opportunities they face. AI is a powerful tool that has the potential to transform journalism, but it is important to use it responsibly and ethically.