Sports Metaverse company LootMogul is partnering with a leading sports marketing and commercial rights agency Six Sport, to support its strategic growth plans and expedite the adoption of blockchain gaming for sports organizations and athletes, delivering truly immersive sports fan experiences. Continue reading
- FTX’s bankruptcy hurts small investors across the world
- Young African crypto backers fret about damage to sector
- Regulators repeat warnings about risks of crypto dealing
LAGOS/BANGKOK – Days before his FTX cryptocurrency exchange collapsed, co-founder Sam Bankman-Fried tweeted “Hello, West Africa!” – his latest nod to a region where a growing number of kitchen table investors had put their faith, and savings, in FTX.
- Young South Africans see crypto as way to quick wealth
- Poverty, high unemployment pushes them to crypto
- Users not fully aware of risks, vulnerable to scams
By Kimberly Mutandiro
JOHANNESBURG, Sept 26 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – John first heard of cryptocurrency three years ago, when the teenager came across slick YouTube videos and Facebook posts of other South Africans claiming to have become wealthy overnight with bitcoin.
- No. 2 cryptocurrency to adopt energy-saving protocol
- ‘The merge’ could cut ethereum’s power use by 99%
- Move seen piling climate pressure on bitcoin
By Avi Asher-Schapiro
LOS ANGELES, Sept 12 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – Ethereum, the blockchain underpinning the world’s second-largest crypto token ether, is poised for a software upgrade that will slash the amount of energy it uses – a step that could pile pressure on bitcoin to take similar climate-friendly action. Continue reading
- Fundraising via crypto, NFTs grows amid funding downturn
- Advocates say crypto donations faster, easier to access
- Challenges include internet, power access and gender gap
By Kagondu Njagi
NAIROBI, July 19 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) – A sculpture of a giant tap spewing plastic waste greeted delegates at U.N. environment talks in Kenya earlier this year – a reminder of the urgent need for them to agree a global pact to curb plastic pollution.